team overview & purpose
Welcome to the tenth season of Leadership Team at Magnus Karate.
Leadership Team is an invite only initiative designed to bring the best and brightest of Magnus Karate together on a multi-level team program.
The team’s goal is to expand student opportunities and foster a true sense of mentorship, coaching, instructional methodology, and personal leadership development.
Leadership Team is comprised of four levels based upon experience and team responsibilities:
Level 1: Generally indicates a first year leader. This student is learning Magnus specific coaching and leadership skills.
They are introduced to:
✔️ A variety of team training lessons and workshops
✔️Support coaching workshops to help prepare them for in class support.
✔️Our complete level 1 weapon arts course programming (student choice)
✔️Grappling, Sparring, and Kata “Focus” based intensives and technical developmental workshops.
✔️ Team exclusive social events and community events.
Level 2: This leader has two years of experience or more (in some circumstances we have level 2 leaders entering year 5) on Leadership Team. This student is a regular and consistent member of weekly classes, volunteer assists at the dojo 1 to 2 classes per month, supports and provides guidance to level 1 leaders, helps at special events and belt tests, and is learning to become a level 3 leader.
Level 3: This leader has now entered in to an official 100 hour volunteer teaching team internship program designed to prepare them for official membership on our Teaching Team (the most senior leaders of our karate school).
Level 3 leaders coach, guide, and mentor all Level 1 and 2 leaders. They are responsible for facilitating and teaching multiple workshops offered to dojo and leadership team members.
They also provide direct instruction for Level 1 and 2 leaders at team trainings, support coaching workshops and occasionally weapon arts and focus workshops in grappling, sparring, or kata.
Level 3 leaders join Teaching Team members at Teaching Team and Level 3 exclusive team training and coaching workshops. Level 3 leaders are also commonly invited to support all social events and receive invites to Teaching Team exclusive outings.
Teaching Team: This is the highest form of leadership team membership. This apprenticeship program is comprised of students who have moved past being regular season Leadership Team members and are now certified teachers at Magnus Karate.
All teaching team members are paid staff members of our dojo and have direct responsibilities to teach regular classes, leadership team trainings, and workshops.
Teaching Team members mentor Level 3 leaders and are the essential mentors for all Leadership Team members alongside Sensei.
team expectations, attendance, opportunities
Review your expectations, responsibilities, and opportunities below:
Listed below are the minimal expectations and responsibilities to maintain active status on the Leadership Team:
- Consistent Class Attendance:
Leadership Team members must remain active regular class members. Team members should attend class anywhere between 6 to 8 times per month at a minimum.
- No Part Time Attendance:
Leadership Team is not a realistic option for students who plan to consider attending class part time (1 time per week or anywhere between 3 to 4 times per month). Team members play an active role in class leadership roles.
- Assisting Classes:
Level 1: Expected to assist in 1 class per month at a minimum. It is highly recommended to assist more than 1 class per month to reinforce lessons learned in team trainings.
Level 2: Expected to assist in 1 class per month at a minimum. It is highly recommended to assist more than 1 class per month to reinforce lessons learned in team trainings.
Level 3: This is a 100 hour internship designed for 8th, 9th, and 10th graders. A schedule and additional requirements are established individually with Sensei.
*Team members must attend classes that are under their current rank to assist and regular class to train.
NOTE – Sensei understands the demands of other extracurricular activities (and he values them). If your child has another activity that requires more time for a season please let him know in advance. This will not impact active status on the Leadership Team.
- Team Training Attendance:
There are 10 Team Trainings that will be offered this Leadership Team season – Level 1 and 2 leaders are expected to attend at least 7 Team Trainings.
- Support Coaching Workshop Attendance:
There are 10 Support Coaching workshops that will be offered this Leadership Team season – Level 1 and 2 leaders are expected to attend at least 5 Team Trainings.
- Belt Test Demonstrations:
We ask all Leaders (of all levels) to support us at 2 out of the 4 belt tests we host this season (and into summer):
- October 2022
- January 2023
- April 2023
- July 2023
*Group emails will be sent out in advance for belt test demonstrations sign ups.
Leadership Team member are provided with a great deal of extra opportunities:
- Monthly Group Team Training Workshops
- Monthly Group Support Coaching Workshops
- Weapon Arts Courses / Monthly Classes
- Grappling Workshops (Focus Based Training)
- Sparring Workshops (Focus Based Training)
- Learning mentorship and coaching skills through assisting in live classes.
- Team Building and Bonding Opportunities
- Leadership Team exclusive Summer camps and clinic intensive invitations.
- Leadership Team social events (outings, holiday parties, new season and end of season kick off parties).
You will notice many events planned month to month with Leadership Team. It is of high recommendation that you consider attending as many team events as your schedule will allow.
There is no minimum or expectation in regards to Weapon Arts courses or technical development workshops, however all will be of high value. Weapon Arts especially will progress lesson to lesson.
Attending Weapon Arts classes in an inconsistent manner will most likely lead to confidence loss as the team member feels behind the group and generally struggles to keep up.
Team bonding, outings, parties, and team building activities are a great way to develop friendships with fellow training partners that have the possibility of lasting a lifetime.
Team training workshops
The backbone of Leadership Team offerings and the most important events to attend as a team member are the Team Trainings.
Team Trainings provide multiple opportunities to learn:
- Public speaking skills
- Coaching strategies and methods
- To explore and understand our curriculum
- How to teach content for multiple ages and levels
- Learn from experienced mentors from the Teaching Team
Team trains also provide team building activities and overall leadership training.
Every workshop features instructional training, partner to partner coaching, and in class support training. We blend our teaching team strategies with fun activities for a fast and fun session.
This is where all students learn to be true leaders at our academy.
support coaching workshops
Support Coaching workshops are one of the most useful and fun events to attend as a team member.
Support coaching workshops are designed to teach each team member how to coach one on one. This training prepares them for entering our classes as a volunteer support member.
*One on One = Team members develop skills to work directly with another student and provide assistance while supporting that student.
We commonly work on:
- One on one coaching with protection skills (to help with Beginner and Green-Brown level)
- One on one coaching with sparring skills (to help with Beginner and Green-Brown level)
- Kicking and Striking coaching
- Weapon Arts coaching.
Our team members loved this training last season, it will appear as a monthly offering this season.
Each month will feature different themes from our curriculum.
There is no better way to prepare for supporting our class as an in class volunteer assistant than to attend these trainings.
weapon arts, grappling, & sparring workshops
An additional bonus of being a Leadership Team member is intensive based Technical Development Workshops. Multiple variations of technical development workshops will be featured on your team schedule this season.
This season will feature an opportunity to attend a team training or support coaching workshop with a weapon arts, ground grappling, or sparring workshop to follow.
Workshops are taught by Sensei, senior teaching team members, or guest instructors.
✔️ Magnus Weapon Arts is an extension program of Magnus Karate which is included in your Leadership Team season. Team members are not required to attend these workshops – they are offered after trainings for convenience of schedule to parents.
Weapon Arts will be featured on Friday’s for leaders, and available one time per month in our all black belt classes.
✔️ Magnus Grappling workshops will also be featured monthly at the dojo and are not a requirement. Team members have the choice to attend these workshops. They will be offered on the same days as either a Team Training or support coaching workshop.
✔️ Sparring workshops will be offered for students who are interested in further developing skills in this part of our curriculum.
team social events
One of the primary goals of Leadership Team is to provide a sense of community to all active members.
Since it’s inception Leadership Team has acted as a place for our students to become great friends and develop mutual respect for one another.
Some of the social events to look forward to:
✔️ New Season Kick Off Off Party
✔️ Leadership Team Only Halloween Party
✔️Leadership Team Only Holiday Party
✔️Leadership Team Only Movie and Pizza Nights
✔️Annual Hershey Park Trip
✔️Spring Urban Air Group Outing
✔️ Leadership Team Only End of Season Party
in class support & volunteer assistant instruction
Attending Junior Magnus, Age 7+ Beginner and Green-Brown classes provide the opportunity to learn and practice the arts of coaching, instruction, and dojo support.
✔️ Working with younger students at the dojo has been one of the primary initiatives of team membership.
✔️ In live class time team members can apply skills learned at team trainings, coaching workshops, and technical development workshops.
✔️ Teaching team and Level 3 members will guide and provide instruction to each Level 1 and 2 team member during every class that they attend as a volunteer assistant.
belt test & promotion Day demonstrations
It has been a long tradition for Leadership Team members and Teaching Team members combined to demonstrate before our quarterly youth belt testings.
This is an excellent opportunity to help inspire younger students before they take their test and help parents of those students see what longevity in practice can develop into.
september - december 2022
leadership team events & schedule
- Friday 9/16: Level 1 & 2 Combined Team Training #1 @ 5:00 – 5:45PM
- Friday 9/16: All Levels New Season Kick Off Party @ 6:00 – 9:00PM
- Friday 9/30: Grappling Class: Age 7+ Beginner & Green/Brown @ 5:00 – 5:45PM (Leadership Team Support Opportunity)
- Friday 9/30: Level 1 & 2 Combined Support Coaching Workshop @ 5:45 – 6:30PM
- Friday 9/30: Grappling Class for Youth Black, Advanced Brown, and Black Belts @ 6:30 – 7:15PM (Leadership Team Extra Training Opportunity)
- Friday 9/30: Teaching Team and Level 3 Combined Coaching workshop @ 7:15 – 8:00PM
- Friday 10/7: Grappling Class: Age 7+ Beginner & Green/Brown @ 5:00 – 5:45PM (Leadership Team Support Opportunity)
- Friday 10/7: Level 1 & 2 Combined Team Training #1 @ 5:45 – 6:30PM
- Friday 10/7: Grappling Class for Youth Black, Advanced Brown, and Black Belts @ 6:30 – 7:15PM (Leadership Team Extra Training Opportunity)
- Friday 10/21: Age 7+ Open Weapon Arts Class (Non Leadership) @ 5:00 – 6:00PM (Leadership Support Opportunity)
- Friday 10/21: Level 1 & 2 Combined Support Coaching Workshop @ 6:00 – 6:45PM
- Friday 10/21: Weapon Arts for Level 1 & 2 Leaders combined @ 6:45 – 7:30PM
- Friday 10/21: Teaching Team & Level 3 Coaching Workshop @ 7:30 – 8:15PM
- Saturday 10/22: Age 7+ Belt Test Day – Belt Test Demonstrations / Support Opportunity
- Friday 10/28: Full Dojo Halloween Party @ 5:00 – 8:00PM (Leadership Team Support Requested)
- Saturday 10/29: Leadership Team Only Halloween Party @ 6:00 – 9:00PM
- Friday 11/4: Promotion Day Event @ 5:00 – 7:30PM (Leadership Team Support Requested
- Friday 11/11: Grappling Class: Age 7+ Beginner & Green/Brown @ 5:00 – 5:45PM (Leadership Team Support Opportunity)
- Friday 11/11: Level 1 & 2 Combined Team Training #1 @ 5:45 – 6:30PM
- Friday 11/11: Grappling Class for Youth Black, Advanced Brown, and Black Belts @ 6:30 – 7:15PM (Leadership Team Extra Training Opportunity)
- Friday 11/18: Age 7+ Open Weapon Arts Class (Non Leadership) @ 5:00 – 6:00PM (Leadership Support Opportunity)
- Friday 11/18: Level 1 & 2 Combined Support Coaching Workshop @ 6:00 – 6:45PM
- Friday 11/18: Weapon Arts for Level 1 & 2 Leaders combined @ 6:45 – 7:30PM
- Friday 11/18: Teaching Team & Level 3 Combined Coaching Workshop @ 7:30 – 8:15PM
- Friday 12/2: Grappling Class: Age 7+ Beginner & Green/Brown @ 5:00 – 5:45PM (Leadership Team Support Opportunity)
- Friday 12/2: Level 1 & 2 Combined Team Training #1 @ 5:45 – 6:30PM
- Friday 12/2: Grappling Class for Youth Black, Advanced Brown, and Black Belts @ 6:30 – 7:15PM (Leadership Team Extra Training Opportunity)
- Saturday 12/10: All Dojo Holiday Party (Non Leadership Event) @ 6:00 – 8:00PM
- Friday 12/16: Age 7+ Open Weapon Arts Class (Non Leadership) @ 5:00 – 6:00PM (Leadership Support Opportunity)
- Friday 12/16: Level 1 & 2 Combined Support Coaching Workshop @ 6:00 – 6:45PM
- Friday 12/16: Weapon Arts for Level 1 & 2 Leaders combined @ 6:45 – 7:30PM
- Friday 12/16: Teaching Team & Level 3 Combined Coaching Workshop @ 7:30 – 8:15PM
- Saturday 12/17: Leadership Team Only Holiday Party @ 6:00 – 9:00PM
January – June Leadership Team Schedule is announced in November 2022.
team registration &
Leadership Team is a full season commitment (September – June). No Exceptions.
2022 – 2023 Full Season Dues: $180.00
Can be paid in full or split into two payments (spread over two months – September and October).
- Card – Click the link below to fulfill your payment in full.
- Use coupon code: LEADERHALF to split your season payment (second payment due October 15).
- Use coupon code: LEADERSIBLING for a $10 discount per participant.
- Check – Please make checks payable to “Magnus Karate” and submit upon class attendance at the dojo.
Payment Due Date: Friday September 30, 2022
Commitment / Intent Due Date: Friday September 16, 2022 by 12PM
(Link found in your email – a google form indicating your intent to join the team or pass on this spot to another student).
*If choosing a two part payment installment, first due by September 16th and second due October 15th – use the coupon code above at checkout.
What is included in these dues:
- 10 months of Leadership Team schedule offerings
- Soft Pretzels, Snacks, and Fruit at select Team Events.
- Team social events will be “a la carte” and similar to Parent Night Out Events at $10 per social event (primarily for pizza cost).
- One Leadership Team Shirt – New performance shirt with Leadership Team logo on it (select size on response form). This shirt will be required for Team Training and extension workshop events in place of gi top.
- Team Jackets, Extra Team Gear, and Leadership Team Gear Bags will be offered separately in a private team only email.
leadership team to teaching team goal
Did you know…We currently have 11 Teaching Team members at Magnus Karate for the 2022 – 2023 school year?
All 11 were active Leadership Team members who eventually became Level 3 leaders and are on a part time payroll at our academy. Their many years of Leadership Team training and participation put them into a position where are now taking advantage of our apprenticeship program (Teaching Team).
Our goal is to help all Leaders work their way into becoming a Teaching Team member (if they should want that in the future).
leadership team faq
The best classes to assist are Junior Magnus, Age 7+ Beginner, and Green-Brown classes.
Many youth black belts will prefer to assist in the Youth Black-Brown Belt class at 6:30 – in reality this is the class that needs the least support and offers minimal opportunity to use support skills (there are many Level 1 and 2 leaders in this class already).
Additionally the lessons learned in team trainings will be better applied in younger classes.
Teaching team and level 3 leaders will act as the primary guides, mentors, and coaches for all Level 1 and Level 2 Leadership Team members this season.
Level 1 and 2 leaders should expect to take instruction from senior level and teaching team members.
Leadership Team is a group driven experience, senior members of the team teach new members and junior members and pass first hand experiences and lessons onto the next generation.
Your current teaching team for this 2021-2022 season is:
- Nico Lippiatt-Cook
- Matthew Morrison
- Will Cortes
- Drew Keenan
- Xavier Sinowitz
- Danielle Hana Hung
- Charlotte Newman
- Veronica Merinova
- Freddie Graf
- John Wark
- Ethan Winkelman
- Drew Geibel
- Nate Mullin
Example: I cannot commit to Leadership Team until January 2022 – can I join the team then?
Answer: No, Leadership Team is a September – June commitment. Please decline the invitation as to free the spot up for a new member to take your spot.
Example: I am playing fall baseball, basketball, have a theater performance and will be light in attendance for a short period (2 months), how does that work?
Answer: Sensei will always work with short term seasonal obligations. Send him a note and we will work out your schedule.
Currently we use our Friday night schedule exclusively for Leadership Team activities and special events at the dojo.
You will occasionally see workshops and Leadership Team special events pop up on Saturday or Sunday.
Check your events calendar.
Highly recommended that you assist in multiple classes per month.
All of our teaching team members contributed a significant amount of time working with younger students before being upgraded to staff member at Magnus Karate.
Assisting classes and mentoring younger students can be an incredibly rewarding and educational experience. A large opportunity for growth all around.
Registration for Leadership Team events and courses is highly appreciated.
You will be sent a weekly Leadership Team registration email every Monday morning for that week’s events.
Note – the regular weekly scheduling link will not work for Leadership Team. The Leadership link is private to team members.
There will be three primary ways we communicate with Leadership Team:
- Active Leadership Team member email blast.
- Leadership Team Portal
- How to access in first group email blast
- The New Magnus Karate app
- In development. It will have a Leadership Team section for you to access team specific info.
Additionally – Team member parents will be invited to our private Leadership Team Facebook group. Pictures and videos from team events are commonly posted there.