- Pictures, Videos, and Descriptions of Team Activities and the benefits that are associated with being an active team member.
- Team opportunities, expectations, and requirements.
- Full 2021 – 2022 Leadership Team Schedule of Events.
- FAQ section
what is the leadership team?
Welcome to the ninth season of Leadership Team at Magnus Karate.
Leadership Team is an invite only initiative designed to bring the best and brightest of Magnus Karate together on a multi-level team program.
The team’s goal is to expand student opportunities and foster a true sense of mentorship, coaching, instructional methodology, and personal leadership development.
Leadership Team is comprised of four levels based upon experience and team responsibilities:
Level 1: Generally indicates a first year leader. This student is learning Magnus specific coaching and leadership skills. They are introduced to a variety of team training lessons, our complete level 1 weapon arts course programming, and have multiple technical development opportunities.
Level 2: This leader has two years of experience or more (in some circumstances we have level 2 leaders entering year 5) on Leadership Team. This student is a regular and consistent member of regular classes, volunteer assists at the dojo for 2 to 3 classes per month, supports and provides guidance to level 1 leaders, helps at special events and belt tests, and is learning to become a level 3 leader.
Level 3: This leader has now entered in to an official 75 hour volunteer assistant instruction internship program designed to prepare them for official membership on our Teaching Team (the most senior leaders of our karate school). Level 3 leaders coach, guide, and mentor all Level 1 and 2 leaders. They are responsible for facilitating and teaching multiple workshops offered to dojo and leadership team members. They also provide direct instruction for Level 1 and 2 leaders at team trainings and occasionally weapon arts and technical development workshops.
Teaching Team: This is the highest form of leadership team membership. This group is comprised of students who have moved past being regular season Leadership Team members and are now certified teachers at Magnus Karate. All teaching team members are paid staff members of our dojo and have direct responsibilities to teach regular classes, leadership team trainings, and workshops. Teaching Team members mentor Level 3 leaders and are the essential mentors for all Leadership Team members alongside Sensei.
Team expectations & opportunities
Review your expectations, responsibilities, and opportunities below:
Listed below are the minimal expectations and responsibilities to maintain active status on the Leadership Team:
- Consistent Class Attendance:
Leadership Team members must remain active regular class members. Team members should attend class anywhere between 6 to 8 times per month at a minimum.
- No Part Time Attendance:
Leadership Team is not a realistic option for students who plan to consider attending class part time (1 time per week or anywhere between 3 to 4 times per month). Team members play an active role in class leadership roles.
- Assisting Classes:
Level 1: Expected to assist in 1 class per month at a minimum. It is highly recommended to assist more than 1 class per month to reinforce lessons learned in team trainings.
Level 2: Expected to attend and assist in 2 classes per month at a minimum.
Level 3: This is a 75 hour internship designed for 8th, 9th, and 10th graders. A schedule and additional requirements are established individually with Sensei.
*Team members must attend classes that are under their current rank to assist and regular class to train.
NOTE – Sensei understands the demands of other extracurricular activities (and he values them). If your child has another activity that requires more time for a season please let him know in advance. This will not impact active status on the Leadership Team.
- Team Training Attendance:
There are 10 Team Trainings that will be offered this Leadership Team season – Level 1 and 2 leaders are expected to attend at least 7 Team Trainings.
Leadership Team member are provided with a great deal of extra opportunities:
- Team Trainings
- Weapon Arts Courses
- Technical Development Workshops
- Learning mentorship and coaching skills through assisting in live classes.
- Team Building and Bonding Opportunities
- Leadership Team exclusive Summer camps and clinic intensive invitations.
- Leadership Team social events (outings, holiday parties, new season and end of season kick off parties).
You will notice many events planned month to month with Leadership Team. It is of high recommendation that you consider attending as many team events as your schedule will allow.
There is no minimum or expectation in regards to Weapon Arts courses or technical development workshops, however all will be of high value. Weapon Arts especially will progress lesson to lesson.
Attending Weapon Arts classes in an inconsistent manner will most likely lead to confidence loss as the team member feels behind the group and generally struggles to keep up.
Team bonding, outings, parties, and team building activities are a great way to develop friendships with fellow training partners that have the possibility of lasting a lifetime.
The backbone of Leadership Team offerings and the most important events to attend as a team member are the Team Trainings.
Team Trainings provide multiple opportunities to learn:
- Public speaking skills
- Coaching strategies and methods
- To explore and understand our curriculum
- How to teach content for multiple ages and levels
Team trains also provide team building activities and overall leadership training.
This is where all students learn to be true leaders at our academy.
magnus weapon arts
Magnus Weapon Arts is an extension program of Magnus Karate which is included in your Leadership Team season.
Designed as a multi-course program, Weapon Arts features three levels and educates the student on 8 weapons within that program’s curriculum.
Level 1 and 2 Leaders completed all three Level 1 Weapons courses (A, B, C) in last year’s season.
Returning members will move on to Level 2 Weapons courses and new members will enter into Level 1 Weapons courses.
Our Weapon Arts program is incredibly popular and well received by all. Individual course certifications are available upon completion.
Course A: Single Stick Eskrima and Bo Staff
Course B: Double Stick Eskrima and Sai
Course C: Single and Double Stick Eskrima, Tonfa, Nunchaku, Kama.
Each course has three levels of progression.
technical development workshops
An additional bonus of being a Leadership Team member is Technical Development Workshops. Multiple variations of technical development workshops will be featured on your team schedule this season.
Some of these workshops include:
- Personal protection
- Ground grappling
Workshops are taught by Sensei, senior teaching team members, or guest instructors.
social events /
One of the primary goals of Leadership Team is to provide a sense of community to all active members.
Since it’s inception Leadership Team has acted as a place for our students to become great friends and develop mutual respect for one another.
Some of the social events to look forward to:
- Start of Leadership season party
- Halloween party
- Leadership Team Movie Nights at the dojo
- Holiday Party
Possible pre-COVID opportunities that could return dependent upon the state of COVID rock climbing, Hershey Park, fall bonfire.
volunteer assistant instruction
Attending Junior Magnus, Age 7+ Beginner and Green-Brown classes provide the opportunity to learn and practice the arts of coaching, instruction, and dojo support.
Working with younger students at the dojo has been one of the primary initiatives of team membership.
In live class time team members can apply skills learned at team trainings, coaching workshops, and technical development workshops.
Teaching team and Level 3 members will guide and provide instruction to each Level 1 and 2 team member during every class that they attend as a volunteer assistant.
September - December 2021 Leadership Team Schedule
1. Monday 9/6 – Labor Day, Dojo Closed
2. Thursday 9/9 – Teaching Team Training: 8 – 8:45PM
3. Leadership Team New Season Party (Full Team): 6 – 9PM.
4. Friday 9/17 – Sparring Workshop (For Beginners and Green Belts) – Level 2 and 3 team members requested as coaches. 5 – 5:45PM
5. Friday 9/17 – Level 1 Only Team Training: 5:45 – 6:30PM
6. Friday 9/17 – Level 2 Only Team Training: 6:30 – 7:30PM
7. Monday 9/20 – Teaching Team Training: 8 – 8:45PM
8. Friday 9/24 – Level 1A Weapon Arts Class 1: 5:30 – 6:15PM
9. Friday 9/24 – Level 2A Weapon Arts Class: 6:15 – 7:00PM
10. Friday 9/24 – Teaching Team and Level 3 only Level 2A Weapon Arts Class: 7:00 – 7:45PM
- Friday 10/1 – Level 1 only Team Training: 5:30 – 6:15PM
- Friday 10/1 – Level 2 only Team Training: 6:15 – 7:00PM
- Friday 10/1 – Level 3 Team Training: 7:00 – 7:45PM
- Thursday 10/7 – Teaching Team Training: 8:00 – 8:45PM
Friday 10/8 – Level 1A Weapon Arts Class 1: 5:30 – 6:15PM
Friday 10/8 – Level 2A Weapon Arts Class: 6:15 – 7:00PM
Friday 10/8 – Teaching Team and Level 3 only Level 2A Weapon Arts Class: 7:00 – 8:00PM
- Sunday 10/10 – Teaching Team and Level 3 Retreat and Brunch (Teaching Intensive): 9:30AM – 12PM
- Friday 10/15Level 1 Technical Development Workshop: 5:30 – 6:15PM
- Friday 10/15 Level 2 Technical Development Workshop: 6:15 – 7:00PM
- Friday 10/15 Teaching Team and Level 3 Technical Development Workshop: 7:00 – 7:45PM
- Friday 10/22 – Free grappling workshop (for Beginners, Green, and Brown Belts) – Level 2 leaders requested as coaches: 5:00 – 5:45PM
- Friday 10/22: Level 1A Weapon Arts Class: 5:45 – 6:30PM
- Friday 10/22: Level 2A Weapon Arts Class: 6:30 – 7:30PM
- Saturday 10/23: Age 7+ Belt Test Day: Level 2 and Level 3 leaders requests for teaching assistance: 9AM – 1PM
- Sunday 10/24: Fall Black Belt Test – 9AAM – 11:30Am, teaching team and Level 3 requested for test assistance.
- Friday 10/29 – Promotion Day Event: 5:30 – 8:00PM (Level 2 and 3 requested for group demonstrations)
- Saturday 10/30 – Halloween at the dojo event (Team members requested to help with the event): 9:30 – 12:30PM
- Saturday 10/30 – Leadership Team Halloween Party: 6:00 – 9:00PM
- Friday 11/5 – Age 7+ Make Up Test Day: 5:30 – 6:15 (Teaching Team and Level 3 Help Requested)
- Friday 11/5 – Level 1 A Weapon Arts Class: 6:15 – 7:00PM
- Friday 11/5 – Level 2A Weapon Arts Class: 7:00 – 7:45PM
- Friday 11/12 – Teaching Team and Level 3 Weapon Arts 2A Class: 5:30 – 6:15PM
- Friday 11/12 – Level 1 Only Team Training: 6:15 – 7:00PM
- Friday 11/12 – Level 2 Only Team Training: 7:00 – 7:45PM
- Sunday 11/14 – Teaching Team Retreat and Brunch: 9:30AM – 12:00PM
- Thursday 11/18 – Teaching Team Training: 8 – 8:45PM
- Friday 11/19 – Sparring Workshop (For Beginner, Green, and Brown Belts) – Level 2 and 3 Leaders requested for coaching assistance: 5:30 – 6:15Pm
- Friday 11/19 – Level 1 & 2 Technical Development Workshop: 6:15 – 7:00PM
- Friday 11/19 – Teaching Team and Level 3 Technical Development Workshop: 7:00 – 8:00PM
- Monday 11/22 – Teaching Team Training: 8 – 8:45PM
- Thursday 11/25 – Dojo Closed
- Friday 11/26 – Dojo Closed
- Friday 12/3 – Level 1 Only Team Training: 5:30 – 6:15PM
- Friday 12/3 – Level 2 Only Team Training: 6:15 – 7:00PM
- Friday 12/3 – Level 3 Only Team Training: 7:00 – 7:45PM
- Thursday 12/9 – Teaching Team Training: 8 – 8:45PM
- Friday 12/10 – Level 1 – Course 1A Weapon Arts Class: 5:30 – 6:15PM
- Friday 12/10 – Level 2 – Course 2A Weapon Arts Class: 6:15 – 7:00PM
- Friday 12/10 – Teaching Team and Level 3 – Course 2A Weapon Arts Class: 7:00 – 7:45PM
- Friday 12/17 – Leadership Team Holiday Party: 6:00 – 9:00PM
- Sunday 12/19 – Teaching Team Morning Retreat and Brunch: 9:30AM – 12:00PM
- Friday 12/24 – Dojo Closed
- Friday 12/31 – Dojo Closed
January – June Leadership Team Schedule is announced in November 2021.
team registration and season dues:
Leadership Team is a full season commitment (September – June). No Exceptions.
Level 2 Leader: 2021 – 2022 Full Season Dues: $220.00
Can be paid in full or split into two payments (spread over two months – September and October).
- Card – Click the link below to fulfill your payment in full.
- This is a private link, use this password to access: LevelTwo
- Check – Please make checks payable to “Magnus Karate” and submit upon class attendance at the dojo.
Payment Due Date: Thursday September 9, 2021
*If choosing a two part payment installment, first due by September 9th and second due October 10th send Sensei an email at [email protected] to be sent a different payment link.
What is included in this payment:
- 10 months of Leadership Team schedule offerings
- If a team event is offering food and beverage – included for team members. (Example – pizza at a team party or movie night)
- One Leadership Team Shirt – New performance shirt with Leadership Team logo on it (select size on response form). Will be required for Team Training and extension workshop events.
- One Leadership Team Jacket – New team jacket with leadership team logo (select size on response form)
- One Magnus Weapon Arts Shirt – According to the level that you are attending. (Level 2 practitioners will be issued a new shirt reflecting their upgrade to Level 2 weapon arts courses).
- 10% discount on all Magnus Karate gear and apparel (as sold on magnuskarate.com/shop/
Leadership Team Bag
Optional Add-On Purchase:
Custom embroidered all black Leadership Team bag.
Leave a note in your purchase regarding the name or initial that you would like embroidered on the bag.
MIKE PANNULLA OR M.PANNULLA OR PANNULLA
Extra team shirt
Optional Add-On Purchase:
Extra team shirt (if you require more than one) – note one shirt is included in your team dues.
Leadership Team FAQ
The best classes to assist are Junior Magnus, Age 7+ Beginner, and Green-Brown classes.
Many youth black belts will prefer to assist in the Youth Black-Brown Belt class at 6:30 – in reality this is the class that needs the least support and offers minimal opportunity to use support skills (there are many Level 1 and 2 leaders in this class already).
Additionally the lessons learned in team trainings will be better applied in younger classes.
Teaching team and level 3 leaders will act as the primary guides, mentors, and coaches for all Level 1 and Level 2 Leadership Team members this season.
Level 1 and 2 leaders should expect to take instruction from senior level and teaching team members.
Leadership Team is a group driven experience, senior members of the team teach new members and junior members and pass first hand experiences and lessons onto the next generation.
Your current teaching team for this 2021-2022 season is:
- Justin Steinberger (Full Dojo Lead Instructor) – 10 years + student
- Annette Dileo (Full Dojo Lead Instructor) – 10 years + student
- Nico Lippiatt-Cook (Senior Support, Sectional Lead Instructor) – 10 years + student
- Matthew Morrison (Senior Support , Sectional Lead Instructor) – 10 years + student
- Will Cortes (Senior Support , Sectional Lead Instructor) – 8 years + student
- Drew Keenan (Senior Support , Sectional Lead Instructor) – 9 years + student
Example: I cannot commit to Leadership Team until January 2022 – can I join the team then?
Answer: No, Leadership Team is a September – June commitment. Please decline the invitation as to free the spot up for a new member to take your spot.
Example: I am playing fall baseball, basketball, have a theater performance and will be light in attendance for a short period (2 months), how does that work?
Answer: Sensei will always work with short term seasonal obligations. Send him a note and we will work out your schedule.
Currently we use our Friday night schedule exclusively for Leadership Team activities and special events at the dojo.
You will occasionally see workshops and Leadership Team special events pop up on Saturday or Sunday.
Check your events calendar.
Highly recommended that you assist in multiple classes per month.
All of our teaching team members contributed a significant amount of time working with younger students before being upgraded to staff member at Magnus Karate.
Assisting classes and mentoring younger students can be an incredibly rewarding and educational experience. A large opportunity for growth all around.
Registration for Leadership Team events and courses is required.
You will be sent a weekly Leadership Team registration email every Monday morning for that week’s events.
Note – the regular weekly scheduling link will not work for Leadership Team. The Leadership link is private to team members.
There will be three primary ways we communicate with Leadership Team:
- Active Leadership Team member email blast.
- Leadership Team Portal
- How to access in first group email blast
- The New Magnus Karate app
- Hopeful for a Fall launch. It will have a Leadership Team section for you to access team specific info.
Additionally – Team member parents will be invited to our private Leadership Team Facebook group. Pictures and videos from team events are commonly posted there.